Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Perfect Choices (GBE2 #107 AND #108 Topics: Half My Life Ago/What If?

Half my life ago, I was almost 19.

I'd dropped out of college and was just beginning my journey into living my life as an adult.

I had no job...but I was looking.  Luckily, my grandmother had left me her house when she passed away or I would not have had anywhere to go.  I had a roof over my head but a very limited understanding of how the business of having a job, keeping a job, and paying bills actually worked. 

I thought I had a boyfriend.  I hadn't really noticed that, for the past several months, he only showed up late at night or not at all.  I heard rumors that he was seeing another girl but I wasn't overly worried.  It couldn't be too serious with her if he was still visiting me...right? (Oh, silly 18 year old Stephanie...you have lots to learn!)

One night, as I was just drifting off to sleep, there was a knock at my door.  I peeked out into the hall and found a nice looking young man standing there.  He looked a few years older than me--probably in his early twenties.  I didn't know him and I had no idea why he was here.

He was a friend of my sister's boyfriend and my sister had sent him over to visit hoping that we'd hit it off.  I invited him in.  (I know, I know...I'm pretty darn lucky that he wasn't a total psycho...I was young and stupid!)  We started talking.  I thought he was a nice guy.  I can't imagine what he thought of me...with my pj's on and my bed hair...sitting cross-legged on the floor in a room with next to no furniture! 

He asked me if I had a boyfriend.  And I said yes!!  Then I proceeded to carry on about this "boyfriend" of mine for at least a good half-hour. 

As you can clearly see, I was a master at flirtation!

We crossed paths a few times after that but nothing ever came of it.  Within a few months, I had reunited with my high school sweetheart and a year after that we were married.  Five years after that, I met Jeff...five years after that...Jeff and I tied the knot with three of our children in attendance.

Sometimes I look back at moments in life where crucial decisions were made.  Did I make the right choice?  What if I had chosen differently...would things have been better?  Would things have been worse?  How different would I be?

As I sit here, writing this, I'm at the library watching Addy play checkers.  Mathias is reading me "Green Eggs and Ham".  It's been a terrific day.  Jeff and I went to the movies.  My makeup looked amazing.  We had an unexpected turn of good luck yesterday that will make our lives just a little bit easier.

Life is pretty awesome sometimes.

Sure.... I could have chosen differently.  But then I wouldn't be where I am right now. 

And right here is the perfect choice...for me.




5 comments:

  1. I always say things happen as they are meant to happen.
    Someone had a plan for you and you apparently finally found it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes ma'am, I'm with Jo. Isn't life grand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i love your grandmother too!! Do you still love in the house she left you!! I would love to be able to do that for my grandchildren. YOU are so so PRECIOUS!! Every time you share another blog we see yet another side of you, precious reflections

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how looking back at the twists and odd - sometimes questionable decisions - of our past lead us to ....now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are happy with your choices! Different definitely isn't always better!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Always feel free to leave a comment...or just stop by to say hi. Thanks :-)