Saturday, May 4, 2013

How To Do the One Thing I'm Really Good At (GBE2 #102--Topic: "How To...")

 This week's GBE2 topic is to write a set of "how to..." instructions.  This was really difficult!  I hope I explained everything clearly.  Thanks for stopping by...even though I'm sure not everyone is as interested in this topic as I am!

This is my favorite way to do my eye makeup.  I realize that this is a pretty dramatic color scheme for most people (although, I would wear this on a Tuesday for no reason at all...) but the technique for this can be used with even the tamest of colors.

You will need
Eye shadow primer (I used one from e.l.f. It only costs $1!)
3 different shades of the same color eyeshadow--one light, one medium, one dark
(I used the Wet n' Wild 'blue had me at hello' palette $4.99)
1 "skin tone" shade of eyeshadow
black eyeliner 
mascara 
various makeup application brushes (e.l.f. also sells these for $1 apiece)
scotch tape (optional but very helpful for beginners)

1.  Before starting any eyeshadow application, you should dab a small amount of primer onto your eyelids and gently rub it in all the way up to your brow bone.  This really helps keep your eye makeup looking fresh all day and keeps it from fading and creasing.

2.  Take a strip of scotch tape and stick it to your hand.  Remove it from your hand and stick it at an angle going from the outer corner of your eye to the end of your eyebrow.  Sticking it to your hand first removes some of the adhesive and it won't be as difficult to remove later on.  Ripping very sticky tape off your face in that area could be very damaging to the delicate skin near your eyes.

3.  With a flat eyeshadow brush, apply the lightest of your three shades all over your eyelid.  Be careful to not bring this color up any higher than your natural crease--the area where you can feel your eyeball meet the socket bone. 

4.  With a stiff dome-shaped brush, take the medium shade and apply it to your crease.  Start with circular motions near the outer corner of your eye to concentrate more color there and then blend it out toward the inner corner of your eye using a back and forth motion.

5.  This step can be done with a stiff dome brush but I prefer to use an angled brush because I feel it's easier to deposit the color exactly where I want it.  Using whichever brush you prefer, take the darkest color and apply it in the crease again.  This time, you want to concentrate the color in the "deep crease" or "outer-v".  In the picture, you can see where the darker color defines this area.  This step isn't necessary, but I feel it adds more depth and dimension to the finished look.

6.  With a fluffy blending brush, take the skin-toned color eyeshadow and apply it to the brow bone area, working it down to the medium shade you used in the crease.  Use this color to buff out any harsh lines.  This helps to soften the look and can help to fix and hide certain mistakes.

7.  Remove the tape.  This should leave you with a crisp, straight edge.  With practice, this isn't entirely necessary.  I still do it sometimes--when I want a really crisp line.

8.  Apply eyeliner and mascara.  These steps can be optional but I always wear eyeliner and mascara.  I don't think eye makeup looks finished without them.  This is just what I prefer.  There are no strict rules when it comes to makeup...do what works best for you.

EXTRAS:  When I did this makeup, I also added blue glitter to my eyelids.  After I applied my eyeshadow,  I gently dabbed an adhesive (Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy...but there are others on the market) to my eyelids with my finger and then used a flat brush to pat the glitter on.  I also added a bit of sparkle to the inner corners of my eyes and just under the arch of my brow.  A very light or white shadow in the inner corners can make your eyes appear farther apart and it's also just a nice finishing touch.  For this look, I used Unicorn Pee from My Pretty Zombie Cosmetics.  It's a difficult color to describe other than to say that it is sparkly and shimmery and exactly what one might think unicorn pee actually looks like!  The camera never does this amazing eyeshadow any justice.

This, of course, is only one of many different styles and techniques of eye shadow application. 

It sounds like a ton of work...and it can be...but it can be a ton of fun too.  








 

6 comments:

  1. Angela Parson MyersMay 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

    And it looks lovely on you. On my 70-year-old eyes, probably not so much. : - )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seriously happy I decided to participate in the GBE2 prompt this week! I was just looking for instructions on eye make-up! I've always been kind of a natural girl and never really learned the techniques... I'm getting a little old to be going sans makeup all the time... this was dead helpful! And pretty!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. stephanie cardinaleMay 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

    I'm glad that I could be of some help! If you are looking for more (and definitely better) help, I suggest Youtube. There you will find tutorials for just about every type of makeup style. Some that I have found especially helpful over the years have been: Makeupgeek, VintageorTacky, and Pixiwoo. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stephanie cardinaleMay 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM

    This can be done with the most neutral of colors and from overly dramatic to barely there. It's more of the technique...I just chose blue that day. People should do whatever they are comfortable with though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talya L. BoernerMay 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

    I'm horrible at eye makeup. This is very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stephanie cardinaleMay 11, 2013 at 6:04 AM

    I don't think that I explained it very well! I tried, but I think it's one of those things that is easier to learn if you see someone else do it. I learned most of everything I know from watching Youtube. There are lots of great tutorials. I started with the basics and just added to it from there.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Always feel free to leave a comment...or just stop by to say hi. Thanks :-)