Friday, September 30, 2011

Halloween Magic--BFF 128



I've never written for this group before.  But when I saw that the topic was HALLOWEEN, how could I not?

You see.......in our household there are really only two holidays.  Jeff's holiday.  And mine.

We celebrate the other ones, but it's more out of duty for the children.  We make a fuss about those because we have to.  But no other holidays get quite the fanfare around here that our favorites do.

Jeff is a Christmas nut.  Who doesn't love Christmas?  Well...I don't know anyone who gets into Christmas quite like Jeff.  But that's a blog for a couple months from now!

My holiday is Halloween.  I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!!!  It is my absolute favorite holiday.  Usually, by the time both mine and Addy's birthdays have rolled around, outside our apartment is fully decorated for the occasion (and both of us celebrated our birthdays this week!  This year, I've been slacking some).  The kids and I start talking about their costumes for next year on November first!  I love it more than Christmas and all of our other lackluster-ly celebrated holidays combined. 

Jeff doesn't understand this.  Well....by now he might...but he still pretends that he doesn't.

In Jeff's world...Christmas is the only holiday that matters.

To me, Halloween is a celebration of everything that I love about fall.  The crisp, cool autumn air...the leaves changing...apple picking....pumpkin picking...apple cider....the rustle of the leaves when little kids are running through them....the smell of decaying leaves....carving a jack-o-lantern and roasting the seeds. 

It's weeks of wonderful things that come to a climax on Halloween Night.

I love watching all the little kids and seeing what their costumes are.  Sure, some are store bought these days...but still adorable.  And I always manage to see some costumes that are truly creative and inventive.  Last year I saw someone dressed as a Dunkin Donuts (yes, the whole store!) and their friend accompanied them--as a police officer!  Priceless.

And...I am a sucker for all things creepy.  Bring on the vampires and witches.  The mummies and ghosts!  Cobwebs and cauldrons and potions--oh my!

But it's more than that.

The world is not the same as when I was a little girl.  Most of us don't even know our neighbors by name.  We suspiciously peek our our windows or peepholes before answering the door.  We are enclosed in our own little worlds--usually only venturing out of them through our keyboards nowadays.

Not on Halloween.

On Halloween...our neighbors will open their doors to each other.  They say hello.  We acknowledge one another's existence--if only for a few seconds.  The streets are alive with people.  For that small fraction of time, we get to be transported back to a time that is quite different from the one we live in now.

And THAT,  is a beautiful thing.

Happy Almost Halloween!


6 comments:

  1. I ADORE Halloween! I adore the fact that the world will join together in a little fun. I love hearing the happy "hoots" and chatter of kids in the crisp fall air on Trick-or-Treat night. I love it so much that I can't see the color orange without getting an adrenaline rush.

    Your picture and blog has me so excited right now that I'm going to UNBOLT my attic (older son has a "thing" about getting in there) and I'm going to PULL SOME SKELETONS AND BATS AND PUMPKINS out of hiding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you like Halloween? lol It's fun to see someone really enjoy anything this much! <3 this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome blog and I am soooo glad you decided to blog with us. Thank you for that!!

    Children in this neighborhood are almost non-existent, so it has been many, many years since we heard the hooting and giggling of little goblins in the night. I miss that... But...a new neighbor has moved in down the street with a toddler and a baby. I also hear a young couple are finally expecting. Maybe in a few years I might get 2-3 trick or treaters... For now, I'll just have to rely on my memories of fun times in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Halloween too.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amy: I'm usually already decorated and ready to go...but this year with work and school I haven't had the energy/ambition yet. I did buy some new decorations to add to my collection today. My Bear has a "thing" for holidays--all of them--so I know he can't wait to start decorating. I bet your house looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Darlene: We never get kids trick or treating. I think it's because we live on the third floor and nobody wants to climb the stairs :P

    @Jo: I don't know if you noticed or not...but I really like Halloween ;)

    @Joyce: It's one of the best times of the year!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Always feel free to leave a comment...or just stop by to say hi. Thanks :-)